FFf Eclectic Red Barn: From Crappy to Adorable

Monday, March 25, 2013

From Crappy to Adorable

What a cute little stool this turned out to be. However, when I first saw this stool, I didn't give it much thought. My in-laws neighborhood was having a flea market at their club house. I picked up a couple of things and looked at this stool and said, "I don't know". 

Eclectic Red Barn: Updated Stool with Yardsticks and some Easter Items
Near the end of the sale, everything was half price. I kept walking pass this stool and finally said, why not. It was 50 cents. I also got a rocker for $1.00, you will see that in a later post.
As you can see, it needed some lovin.Eclectic Red Barn: Before image of stool with broken tile top
It was probably handmade and it was very sturdy. They placed a 12 inch peel-n-stick tile on the top that was coming off. I had such a mess trying to get the tile off. The glue was everywhere. I used a glue gun on the tile to try and lift it off and that made it worse.

Eclectic Red Barn: Removing tile from top of stool
Finally, the tile was all off. I sanded the top it get it somewhat smooth.  After it was sanded, I painted the entire stool with some leftover red paint. I wasn't careful because I wanted some of the wood to show through.

I had some yard sticks from Home Depot - my vintage ones are for another project. I stained them in a cherry stain and applied them so the seams are in a staggered pattern.

Eclectic Red Barn: Applying yardsticks to painted stool

 I clamped the end to hold that piece while I glued the rest of the pieces. When the top was done, I clamped both ends in place.

Eclectic Red Barn: Yardsticks clamped to top of stool
Now it was a really cute stool. So why not put some Easter items on it. 


The Easter blocks are really special. I purchased them from a lady who was commissioned by Disney to paint some of there items. I have had them a long time and she has since passed away. I also have a set of larger blocks that have Christmas scenes on them.

Eclectic Red Barn: Hand painted Easter blocks
  I think they are so pretty. 
Well, I know how you like the before and after shots, so here is mine.
Eclectic Red Barn: Before and after on yardstick stool
For 50 cents, and three yard sticks from Home Depot. I love how it turned out. 

Lining up to these parties:
Through My Creative MindMonday2 Make the Scene Monday # 67mop it up mondaysThrough My Creative Mind The Chicken ChickPractically FunctionalPJH DesignsA Diamond in the StuffMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia homeworkThe DIY DreamerPhotobucket>katherines cornerMom On Timeout Practically Functional

16 comments :

  1. Well if that isn't the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. I love clever people (they give me ideas to copy). That would be cute tabletop for a work area, or even for a sewing room. And yes, I do like before and afters.

    What special bunny blocks - they are precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn,
      I had to salvage that stool some how. I am going to use some vintage yardsticks on a table top. I like using them. I might think of another finish for them. A work area would be cute. Let me know.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete
  2. Love the yardsticks! I am stopping by from the Chalkboard link party. I make jewelry but also flip furniture on Craigslist. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Banba,
      Thanks so much for commenting on my yardstick stool. I have never put anything on Craigslist or even bought anything from there. I need to get with that. Are you successful?
      Have a great week,
      Bev

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love how it turned out. I was just thinking about using rulers on a couple things. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing on Through My Creative Mind. Come share another project (old or new) on Monday's Show and Tell...Now open!

    Jen
    http://throughmycreativemind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen,
      Glad I could inspire you. I love things with rulers. Let me know how your project turns out.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
      Bev

      Delete
  4. Very cute little stool! For .50 cents you got a great little accent/conversation piece!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania,
      For just 50 cents, I can use it in so many places. Thanks for leaving me a comment. I appreciate it.
      Have a great day,
      Bev

      Delete
  5. Awesome transformation! I love the yardsticks staggered across the top. Great eye appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to just place them on the top but thought if I staggered them it would make a better appearance and it did.
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment.
      Have a great day,
      Bev

      Delete
  6. I always say I am saving my vintage yardsticks for another project, and then off to Home Depot to purchase the cheap ones. I love what you managed to accomplish with this stool. When you said that was a stick-on tile, I knew there was trouble ahead. Those things seem to stick to tables better than the floor!

    Love the red and the story behind the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those stick on tiles are terrible, but I was determined. Yes, maybe one day I will use my vintage ones too. Good luck with your project.
      Thanks for stopping by and for the sweet comments.
      Have a great day,
      Bev

      Delete
  7. 50 cents and "good bones" makes for a great deal! You really gave it new life...cute too! I would love to have you share it at the Rock ‘N Share! Blessings, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the price was right and it was solid. What more can you ask for. Thanks for the lovely comments.
      I will check your party out.
      Thanks so much,
      Bev

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Diana,
      Thanks for the sweet comment. I really liked how it turned out. I appreciate you stopping by.
      Have a great week,
      Bev
      @ Eclectic Red Barn

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...