FFf Eclectic Red Barn: How NOT to Paint Decals

Monday, July 8, 2013

How NOT to Paint Decals

So have you ever found a neat piece of furniture but it has a decal that can't be removed or a metal container that has a decal. You want to paint them, but how NOT to paint the decals. Never fear, it is actually easier than you think. I found this metal watering can at a garage sale for a $1. Nothing very exciting, but knew I could paint it. However, it had this "metal decal" and I didn't want to paint that.

Eclectic Red Barn: How NOT to paint decals
This watering can had some rust but since I was going to paint it, it didn't matter.

Eclectic Red Barn: Metal watering can with decal
Loved the decal, but it was riveted on.
Eclectic Red Barn: Metal watering can with decal that is riveted on
Problem: How to paint the watering can without painting the decal?
You probably already have what you need in your cupboard - Vaseline. Yes, good old cheap Vaseline!
Eclectic Red Barn: Using Vaseline to NOT paint something  
I use the cheap brand for projects like these. There are probably other products you can use, but this works for me and I always have it on hand.

You will also need a small paint brush to apply the Vaseline to the area where you don't want the paint to stick. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Applying Vaseline to decal

Apply the Vaseline all over the area, in this case my decal. Make sure to cover the sides as well and use enough to coat all areas. After you have painted your piece, use a cloth to wipe off the Vaseline. If any paint gets on the Vaseline it will come right off. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Painted watering can, but not the decal
Once I had it completed, I felt that it needed something else. I put some white paint on some crumpled waxed paper and dabbed it on the piece. I didn't want too much just some white highlights. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Blue painted watering can with added white paint
I have used Vaseline on furniture decals as well. Apply it anywhere, where you don't want paint to adhere. You can use wax on furniture and it will do the same thing. I have never try wax on decal, since it is easier to smear the Vaseline. Have you used something else?
Linking to these parties:

Monday2 Make the Scene Monday # 82Our DelightfulHomeThe Dedicated HouseMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThe ScoopOne Project at a Time Link party - ABFOLFluster BusterYour Whims WednesdayThe DIY Dreamerlinkybutton22All Things Thursday Blog HopReal Family Fun Wednesdays at The Real Thing with the Coake FamilyGingerly Madekatherines cornerFrench Country CottageThrifty Things FridayWillamette Valley Wonder Woman ThePinJunkieShabbilicious FridayThe Fun In Functional link party @ Practically Functional YOUR BLOG NAME It's Overflowing

17 comments :

  1. Wow, I am impressed! Thank you for this helpful information :) Enjoy your week.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out so well. I love the look especially after you added the white highlights!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip!!!
    Your "new" watering can is fabulous!! Thanks for the wax paper tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well how about that. Cool tip and I hope I can remember it the next time I need to paint something like this

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tip! Love the paint job on the watering can!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up this great post at TTF!

      hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Great trick. I also like the dabs of white paint. Its fun to paint with crumpled up paper. I've even used burlap. Your water can turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great tip!! I've never seen this before! Pinning! Thank you so much for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jamie @ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-24/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this watering can, the facelift is Beautiful!!

    I would love for you to come link up to my Paint Party going on now http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/07/paint-party.html
    Hope to see you there

    Brooke
 Start @ Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a wonderful idea! I like the additional paint splatters. It really looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fabulous tip! And, the waxed paper, is too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea to put Vaseline on the decal. I love to repurpose items and you have shared a great idea. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!
















    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an excellent tip, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a great tip! It looks like it works really well.
    Thanks so much for linking up.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have used Vaseline too and love it! I actually painted a wood piece brown, rubbed Vaseline on the edges; painted over with cream and sanded the edges to let the brown color show through. Required minimal sanding. Easy peasy! Love your cute blue watering can. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...