FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Hubby's Birthday Cake

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hubby's Birthday Cake

Stephanie posted these money bouquets that she made for birthday gifts. I thought they were so cute. You can read more about her money bouquets at The Enchanted Rose. I put them in my memory for future birthday ideas.

Yesterday was my husband's birthday. We do not get much into gifts these days, but I wanted to do something special - make him a cake.  His favorite is devil's food with chocolate butter cream frosting. Nothing fancy! But what to put on top?


Then I remembered Stephanie's money bouquets and it gave me an idea. The only paper punch I had was this 2 inch one. So I punched out some circles out of colored paper.


Eclectic Red Barn: 2 inch decorative punch

The only problem was they were circles. So I took one of them and cut out every other section. Then I laid it on top of a solid circle. I added brads to the centers. Yeah, flowers!

I had these sticks from making candy, so I used them.

Eclectic Red Barn: wooden candy sticks

I fastened them around the back of the stick and using a pair of pliers squeezed the brads tight on the back.

Eclectic Red Barn: Attaching brads to wooden sticks

They still needed something and since I wasn't attaching money, I thought I would attach some ribbon. Then I decided to write some words on the ribbon. I used a magic marker to write the words, I Love you, Happy Birthday, Always and Forever, etc. 


I hot glued these to the sticks.

Eclectic Red Barn: Flowers with ribbon and lettering

Eclectic Red Barn: Flowers with ribbon and lettering 
He loved his cake. Now my husband likes devil's food cake for a reason. He takes a slice of cake, adds vanilla ice cream and then proceeds to mush it up until it no longer resembles a slice of cake, but ice cream with bits of cake in it. Everyone just laughs at his concoction. 


Eclectic Red Barn: Birthday cake with paper flowers and ribbon
Hey , it's his birthday. He can eat cake anyway he wants to. Right!

Linking up to these parties:
WW ButtonOur DelightfulHome

5 comments :

  1. Nifty idea- especially for a summer cake - now I want a slice of chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looked wonderful, too pretty to mush up! I loved the pin wheels really make the cake look special. Thanks for stopping in now following you too, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Wish I could have a slice! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute! saw you on the blog hop!
    http://pleasegivepeasachance.blogspot.com/2013/06/give-peas-chance-spring-rolls.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Blog Hop. We are so happy that you joined us last week. We can't wait to see what you have for us at this week's party.

    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...